Board Logo
« Comic Books are SEXIST!!! »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 19th, 2017, 2:50pm



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 2  Notify Send Topic Print
 hotthread  Author  Topic: Comic Books are SEXIST!!!  (Read 6983 times)
Nick

ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 749
xx Comic Books are SEXIST!!!
« Thread started on: Oct 26th, 2011, 11:07am »

With this DC Reboot, I have started to notice a very vocal crowd of women (and men too) decrying sexism in comic books. Some of the arguments presented really struck home, so I thought I would present some of the most prominent arguments I have read recently so we can all become more enlightened:



Female characters are given impractical and revealing costumes (even minors!!!)

User Image



Body types unrealistic to the average woman that create body issues

User Image



Unrealistic poses that are there just to show off their bodies

User Image



Female characters often made to look weaker than their male counterparts

User Image


Female characters are often at the mercy of their enemies on covers

User Image



They are made to look emotional

User Image



Women In Refrigerators!!!

User Image



Rape...

User Image



Exploitation and titilation

User Image



This stuff NEVER happens to male characters. I call an end to this blatant sexism and hope you all do too.

Now I really hope someone like Dan Didio doesn't hack my post and change all the images to try to undermine my argument. Only a really sexist person would try to argue that this stuff can actually happen to any comic book character irrelevant of their gender.

DISCLAIMER: On a serious note. In all honesty I genuinely agree with a lot of the criticisms that many of the more reasonable female fans put forward. This site being a particular favourite of mine, I enjoy many of their articles: dcwomenkickingass.tumblr.com/ However, some of the more single minded militant feminists have provided a satirical opportunity I just could not resist. wink
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2011, 12:45am by Nick » User IP Logged

TheMidnighter

ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1224
xx Re: Comic Books are SEXIST!!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26th, 2011, 1:33pm »

At the fourth picture I really started to think something went wrong with this post.

Then I got to the end cheesy.
User IP Logged

"One among you will shortly perish."

My free music
snipe
Administrator
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Master Dick


Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1952
xx Re: Comic Books are SEXIST!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26th, 2011, 3:29pm »

Where's that "ban" button? angry
User IP Logged

TheMidnighter

ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1224
xx Re: Comic Books are SEXIST!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26th, 2011, 3:44pm »

on Oct 26th, 2011, 3:29pm, snipe wrote:
Where's that "ban" button? angry
It's retconned out of here. It's not part of the "New 52 buttons."
User IP Logged

"One among you will shortly perish."

My free music
Nick

ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 749
xx Re: Comic Books are SEXIST!!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26th, 2011, 3:56pm »

on Oct 26th, 2011, 3:44pm, TheMidnighter wrote:
It's retconned out of here. It's not part of the "New 52 buttons."


Damn that Didio! First he retcons my post and makes an absolute mockery of my sincere argument by changing all my pictures, then he retcons Snipe's ban button. The man is a scoundrel!
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2011, 3:57pm by Nick » User IP Logged

TheMidnighter

ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1224
xx Re: Comic Books are SEXIST!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26th, 2011, 5:10pm »

on Oct 26th, 2011, 3:56pm, Nick wrote:
Damn that Didio! First he retcons my post and makes an absolute mockery of my sincere argument by changing all my pictures, then he retcons Snipe's ban button. The man is a scoundrel!
What are you talking about? I love my 52 new #1 buttons. I'm sure it'll bring in more forum members as well.

You might not know this but a lot of people have been waiting to jump on board on these boards. This is the perfect moment for them. No confusing buttons. No people that were banned (midLfinger) but they came back as another persona (Lucky) but then turned back into their first self all along (midLfinger)

... Although, midLfinger is still here... And his history is so great that we're keeping it all intact... We just stamp #1s on everything and it's instantly accessible.

The lack of a ban button -- although we now constantly talk about it -- gives a much more streamlined process. People 'get' that.

Now all we need is to bring back floppy disks (man, we all love those so fuck you if you don't) just like the old days and things will be perfect.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2011, 5:14pm by TheMidnighter » User IP Logged

"One among you will shortly perish."

My free music
Will

ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 706
xx Re: Comic Books are SEXIST!!!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27th, 2011, 03:41am »

on Oct 26th, 2011, 5:10pm, TheMidnighter wrote:
What are you talking about? I love my 52 new #1 buttons. I'm sure it'll bring in more forum members as well.

You might not know this but a lot of people have been waiting to jump on board on these boards. This is the perfect moment for them. No confusing buttons. No people that were banned (midLfinger) but they came back as another persona (Lucky) but then turned back into their first self all along (midLfinger)

... Although, midLfinger is still here... And his history is so great that we're keeping it all intact... We just stamp #1s on everything and it's instantly accessible.

The lack of a ban button -- although we now constantly talk about it -- gives a much more streamlined process. People 'get' that.

Now all we need is to bring back floppy disks (man, we all love those so fuck you if you don't) just like the old days and things will be perfect.


I'm confused.

Is this a commentary on DC, Madonna or Prince/O ( + > ?
User IP Logged

TheMidnighter

ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1224
xx Re: Comic Books are SEXIST!!!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27th, 2011, 04:29am »

on Oct 27th, 2011, 03:41am, Will wrote:
I'm confused.

Is this a commentary on DC, Madonna or Prince/O ( + > ?
Hell if I know. I'm ushering in a new continuity. Do you think I have any idea what I'm doing? Fuck you, you'll buy my stuff anyway. It's edgy, sexy and all #1s!
User IP Logged

"One among you will shortly perish."

My free music
Will

ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 706
xx Re: Comic Books are SEXIST!!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27th, 2011, 04:50am »

on Oct 27th, 2011, 04:29am, TheMidnighter wrote:
Hell if I know. I'm ushering in a new continuity. Do you think I have any idea what I'm doing? Fuck you, you'll buy my stuff anyway. It's edgy, sexy and all #1s!


Honestly, if Dan Didio was this direct -- instead of being a preening (oxymoron) coward of such depth he should be in the Republican primaries -- I'd almost be tempted to buy some of this garbage, because it's garbage.

The bastard is that arrogant. But he doesn't have the balls to carry it off as a persona. There's no Tyler Durden there.

This douche can't even find a way to defend his payroll when challenged by betas and enraged feminists at a comic book panel.

It seems that Warner/DC and, now, Disney/Marvel have such sterling top employees, or company faces (now isn't that telling? And hilarious), that they really can only handle softball questions in controlled environments.

There's no real intelligence of structure in these plans, so they could at least hire someone that can sell a product through charisma and chutzpa. The latter isn't worth much without the former, and Didio strikes me as a mediocrity of tenure; the kind of guy that stumbles into the head seat through corrupt dealings (or something as simple as being around the right people and being liked. Maybe there is no difference) and incompetence that lies above him.

There will still be good, even great, DC comics. But that will be despite -- maybe even to spite -- people like Didio and his discontinuity.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2011, 04:53am by Will » User IP Logged

TheMidnighter

ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1224
xx Re: Comic Books are SEXIST!!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27th, 2011, 05:38am »

on Oct 27th, 2011, 04:50am, Will wrote:
Honestly, if Dan Didio was this direct -- instead of being a preening (oxymoron) coward of such depth he should be in the Republican primaries -- I'd almost be tempted to buy some of this garbage, because it's garbage.

The bastard is that arrogant. But he doesn't have the balls to carry it off as a persona. There's no Tyler Durden there.
Maybe I am Didio. Wouldn't that be great? "I am Dan Didio, the Midnighter. I have run a thousand new #1s, retcons and continuities long before you even get accustomed to the one you're in now. Face it, you've lost."

on Oct 27th, 2011, 04:50am, Will wrote:
There will still be good, even great, DC comics. But that will be despite -- maybe even to spite -- people like Didio and his discontinuity.
I believe so as well. The writers will still tell and sell the same stories. They did not became better or worse. It's what makes this move lack any real impact on me, despite being hailed as a brave new world/brand new day in comics.

EDIT: By the way, I got the tone for my earlier comment from this.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2011, 05:43am by TheMidnighter » User IP Logged

"One among you will shortly perish."

My free music
Nick

ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 749
xx Re: Comic Books are SEXIST!!!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27th, 2011, 05:47am »

on Oct 27th, 2011, 05:38am, TheMidnighter wrote:
Maybe I am Didio.


No! I am Spartacus The Midnighter Jesus Snipe Obama Charlie Sheen Your Father DIDIO!
User IP Logged

TheMidnighter

ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1224
xx Re: Comic Books are SEXIST!!!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 27th, 2011, 06:11am »

on Oct 27th, 2011, 05:47am, Nick wrote:
No! I am Spartacus The Midnighter Jesus Snipe Obama Charlie Sheen Your Father DIDIO!
So you edited your own original post? It is in line with the new continuity to contradict yourself.

Which, therefore, makes it not contradicting to contradict one's self. I get it, no sarcasm attached. If you don't get, fuck you, we don't need you.

Anyway, not until the next reboot, relaunch, going back to the original numbering to celebrate Batman #800 or whatever we will have thought up in our editorial sessions that promote creativity instead of hampering it.

Yeah, I meant you. Fuck you.
I love this new persona!
User IP Logged

"One among you will shortly perish."

My free music
Nick

ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 749
xx Re: Comic Books are SEXIST!!!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 27th, 2011, 06:28am »

We are having a Crisis. But there is no Crisis Button in the New 52 Button System. The contradictions are making my shiny head hurt.

What was the point again? Oh yes, Comic Books are Buddhist! Wait, that can't be it...

Where is Snipe Prime? We need a Snipe Prime Time Punch!
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2011, 06:29am by Nick » User IP Logged

TheMidnighter

ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1224
xx Re: Comic Books are SEXIST!!!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 27th, 2011, 06:40am »

Maybe we can have Batman punch something with an Iron fist. Batman's Iron Fist! Or is that superpower retconned outta here?
User IP Logged

"One among you will shortly perish."

My free music
Will

ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 706
xx Re: Comic Books are SEXIST!!!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 27th, 2011, 06:42am »

on Oct 27th, 2011, 05:38am, TheMidnighter wrote:
Maybe I am Didio. Wouldn't that be great? "I am Dan Didio, the Midnighter. I have run a thousand new #1s, retcons and continuities long before you even get accustomed to the one you're in now. Face it, you've lost."




Quote:
I believe so as well. The writers will still tell and sell the same stories. They did not became better or worse.


One thing to keep in mind is that he can control content to a certain degree, if he's either sharp enough or the writers/artists are honest in their dealings with him.

I came upon an interview with Alan Grant/Breyfogle where they make it clear that their work, particularly on Batman, was close to blacklisted by the late-90s because of political views.

There can still be good work. There still, almost certainly, will be. But he can also limit those possibilities in a number of ways.

Quote:
EDIT: By the way, I got the tone for my earlier comment from this.


This video's completely off the mark.

Adam Sandler movies have never been that entertaining.
User IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| Conforums Support |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls